Thursday, July 21, 2011

Depressing.

So I took a walk to downtown today. I don't know why I thought it would clear my mind - it was at least 100 degrees and stifling. I'm walking, and a scruffy looking guy approaches, herein referred to as "The Desperate Vagrant".
Desperate Vagrant: You have a lighter?
What, do I exude "smoker"? But yes, I do.
Me: Sure. (rifles through pockets)
Desperate Vagrant: So, where you headed?
Are you kidding me? 
Me: Court.
Desperate Vagrant: Oh, did you get in some trouble?
Me: Yeah, sort of. I snapped on my baby daddy and stabbed him. They're prosecuting. i might get lucky, he's still in the hospital and I don't think he can testify.
Desperate Vagrant: (Fumbles to light cigarette as I wait for my lighter, awkward) Some guys are such assholes, eh? Seriously? So how many kids do you have?
Me: (What I see as clearly irritated, still waiting for my lighter)Eight.
Desperate Vagrant: Wow. You look too young. (At this point just holding my lighter)
Me: Yeah, well some of them are my brother's. I met a guy, had a few more, and then he just begged me to stab him - I snapped. It's too bad. He was my favorite cousin.
Desperate Vagrant: (STILL holding my lighter) Wow. You need some company on the way there?
Kill me now. Are you shitting me??? Fuck it. No lighter is worth this.
I walk away, abandoning the lighter and the quite possibly mentally retarded vagrant on the side of the road. I take the long way home, not taking any chances.
Is this really my prospects? The first interaction with a member of the opposite sex in MONTHS.
Things aren't looking good, people.

No comments:

Post a Comment